Lemon is not only one of the most versatile of the citrus essential oils, it is also relatively cheap to purchase. However, if you don’t have a bottle of lemon essential oil to hand, why not use the juice of a real lemon instead? After all, lemon essential oil is essentially extracted from the peel of the lemon fruit, so it makes sense that you can use both the real fruit or the oil for some common purposes. Here’s a list of 5 things that you can use either lemon juice or the essential oil for around your home:
- all purpose cleaner – use a few drops of lemon to disinfect your kitchen chopping board, disinfect your drain or wipe down your kitchen worktops. Lemon is one of the most versatile, all purpose household cleaners!
- for skin & hair treatments – add lemon to your natural skincare products for conditions such as acne, greasy skin & spots. It is also useful in hair treatments too.
- for coughs & colds – add a drop of lemon juice to water to help to treat coughs and colds or add the essential oil to massage oil or lotion and rub over the chest area.
- to deter ants – lemon is one of the essential oils that is often used to deter unwanted ant activity in your home. Add a few drops of lemon around the affected area to get rid of unwanted critters such as ants.
- as an air freshener – use lemon to get rid of unsavory fragrances in your home. Add a few drops of lemon juice/essential oil to water and diffuse into the air via an aromatherapy diffuser. Leave a cut, half a lemon in your fridge as a natural air freshener.
Lemon is anti-bacterial, anti-viral and antiseptic so is a great fruit or oil to keep handy in your home. You can also use lime for the same purposes.
If you have any tips of your own on how to use lemon juice or lemon oil around your home, please leave me a comment below!